Thursday, March 5, 2009

Which One?

So, here's the first picture of our North Star Dog!! Not sure exactly which one it will be... One of my children has suggested all 11!!!

I've already spoken to Patty, North Star. We've begun the planning. It is all so exciting!! I have even spoken to one of the trainers. She'll be doing "specialty" training. That will be for public access and the seizure alert/response training. We'll have another trainer who will work on the more basic commands and tasks.
How great is this???

5 comments:

  1. Great is the understatement of the century! This is something short of miraculous! I'm with your kids though ... at least take a half dozen or so! Can't wait to hear your progress reports. BTW, have you selected a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I've been yelling dog names all night... (practicing) "Mo, come here Mo".. "MeMe, comon' girl"... My daughter must think that I'm nuts! She was hysterical laughing.... I really think those two names are her favorites...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long does it take from the time the dogs are born until the dog comes home to you and your family? We will also be getting a dog for our son but are still working on fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,

    I believe that it all depends on the child/family. Some dogs go to a "puppy-raising family" first at about 10-12 weeks. I am not sure about the final transition to the North Star recipient. In our case, we will get the dog at about 12 weeks (no puppy-raising family). This will allow for immediate seizure response training. You should check with Patty Gross, North Star. She seems to tailor each placement based upon your needs.
    Good luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a while since I visited your blog. Boots has made his way down to San Diego, California about 2 hours away from our home. We made a visit last month to see him and he is coming up next month to see us. He will be coming home permanently in late November or Early December. We are updating our blog this weekend.

    ReplyDelete