Friday, July 24, 2009

Our First Sleepover - Yeah!!



I have been a little technically challenged recently so I have lots of catching up to do. Last week, we had our first sleep over. It was a very exciting and fun time for us!! Nikki was thrilled to see Maya... She (Maya) was such a good girl. She slept in her crate.. Honestly, she slept better than I did. The next morning, after waiting to be released from the crate, she followed me into Nikki's room. I carried Nikki to the top of the stairs.. gave Maya the "wait" command and she did!! She waited until I got to the bottom of the stairs and called her down. She smothered Nikki with kisses. She definitely has a connection to Nikki. She sits patiently by her with no prompts. She even tries to rest her head in Nikki's hand.


Okay.. so for the part that I wasn't expecting... Obviously, Nikki's brother and sister are excited to get a "dog". They want to help.. some nay-sayers state that this will pass . However, I believe that Maya is starting to fill a gap that I didn't think was there. Nikki is involved in her siblings life (soccer, dance recitals, etc.). Actually, we've always considered ourselves a "typical" family. However, Maya now gives her siblings the chance to particpate in Nikki's life. They really want to help with training, walking, etc.


In just one day, she has made quite an impression on us!!

3 comments:

  1. Laura the pictures are so beautiful...i clicked to enlarge them. Nikki and Maya look so relaxed together. Maya's so good on the leash isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - where are the tissues (again). Laura that is so great!!! I am so excited for Nikki, what a gift. I can't wait to get Devan a dog. Of course she is getting a little brother and will have to wait until she gets bigger but still, I am so happy for you guys.
    Love,
    Michele and Devan (4AS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story. There is just something about these North Star Dogs ... believe me, if Maya is anything like Chuck, she's going to amaze you every day with some new show of loyalty and affection for your family. So glad to hear that it's all going well!

    ReplyDelete